The world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology.
The IEEE Student Activities Committee (SAC)
SAC is the IEEE committee responsible for student programs and benefits, and making recommendations to the Member and Geographic Activities (MGA) Board. It is filled with IEEE volunteers, and supported by IEEE staff. These volunteer members provide important viewpoints and information, and represent the voice of the over 100,000 IEEE Student and Graduate Student members worldwide.
Mission: To deliver a common, high quality IEEE Student member experience globally, for lifelong, professional success through IEEE membership.
SAC and the MGA volunteer and staff teams oversee the IEEE student strategy. The goals of the strategy include:
- Strengthen partnership between student activities and all other IEEE entities
- Interactive training program and resource for repository for volunteer leadership development
- Create student-friendly information management system
- Diversify the IEEE Student membership to reflect IEEE’s technical fields of interests and interdependent professions
- Operational excellence: provide SAC with training and measurable internal feedback
- Create activities that students are interested in
- Develop and deploy a strategy and plan for first-year Student members
Membership in this committee comes in four main ways.
- SAC Chair is nominated in the MGA nominations process. The MGA Board votes on the nominees. Nominations are due annually in March.
- General SAC positions (past chair, SPAx chair, potentials editor) are appointed by the MGA Nominations & Appointments (N&A) committee with input from the SAC Chair. Nominations are due in June.
- Other SAC positions (vice chair, Xtreme chair, VSB chair) are appointed by the SAC Chair, usually in October.
- Affiliate representatives (YP Rep, TAB Rep, HKN Rep) are appointed by their corresponding unit, usually in December or January.
- RSACs and RSRs (one per region) are appointed by the Region Director, usually in December or January.
- SAC Subcommittee members are appointed by the SAC Chair with input from the subcommittee chairs. This is an ongoing process.
Details are in the MGA Operations Manual. If you are interested in volunteering, please nominate yourself or reach out to the appropriate contact.
MGA Student Activities Committee Members
Listed below are the members of the MGA Student Activities Committee. For more information on volunteer opportunities within your regional committee or to connect with them directly, please complete the form to the right.
- SAC Chair, Elisa Barney Smith
Student Activities has several primary initiatives to provide opportunities to our student members. These are the chairs of these initiatives.
- Professional Activities (SPAx) Chair, Adil Usman
- Virtual Speakers (VSB) Chair, Simay Akar
- IEEEXtreme Project Lead, George Michael
- Awards and Recognition Chair, Prasanth Mohan
- Potentials Magazine Editor in Chief, Sharad Sinha
Regional Student Activities Chairs (RSACs)
The Regional Student Activities Chairs (RSACs) represent each of the ten Regions of IEEE. These volunteer members help organize student activities in these areas, including student paper contests, website contests for Student Branches, and other interesting activities so you as IEEE Student members can be more actively involved.
- Region 1, Soon Wan
- Region 2, Bharat Rawalkshatriya
- Region 3, Victor Basantes
- Region 4, Benjamin Strandskov
- Region 5, Nasser Kehtarnavaz
- Region 6, Elizabeth Johnston
- Region 7, Mohammad Jamiul Alam
- Region 8, Maciej Borówka
- Region 9, Reiron Lopes
- Region 10, Huynh Thi Thanh Binh
Regional Student Representatives (RSRs)
The Regional Student representatives (RSRs) represent each of the ten Regions of IEEE. These volunteer members are students. They help organize student activities in these areas, including student paper contests, website contests for Student Branches, and other interesting activities and programs, so you as IEEE Student members get engaged and more actively involved.
- Region 1, Matthew Simiele
- Region 2, Catherine Gao
- Region 3, Subodha Charles
- Region 4, Stephen Messing
- Region 5, Fiaz Islam Bhuiyan
- Region 6, Jared White
- Region 7, Melissa Vosough Tehrani
- Region 8, George Papadimitriou
- Region 9, Clara Berendsen
- Region 10, Saaveethya Sivakumar
Other SAC Representatives
Students are important to many components of IEEE. Several other organizational units with IEEE are represented within SAC to help provide information to this committee and to share information about student activities with the rest of IEEE.
- Clara Berendsen, Potentials Magazine Student editor
- Aristotelis Farmakis, Young Professionals Representative to SAC
- Laleh Behjat, TAB Representative to SAC
- Luis Felipe Gaitan Cubides, Branch Chapter Student Representative to SAC
- Hossam Ali, Branch Chapter Representative to SAC
- Ed Rezek, IEEE HKN Representative to SAC
- Robert Ramirez, Member
Industry is where most students will work when they graduate from college. To get input about what programs and activities are important to industry, the Student Activities Committee includes industrial representatives.
- R. Barnett Adler
- Peter T. Mauzey
- Gowtham Prasad
- Prijoe Philips Komattu
- Tom Coughlin
- John Paserba
Join IEEE Students Today. It’s Easy!
Accelerate your growth with other like-minded people and take advantage of all an IEEE Students Membership has to offer. Let’s take the next step together and continue to advance technology for the benefit of humanity.
* Annual student dues range from US $27 – $37, depending on where you live.