The world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology.
The Darrel Chong Student Activity Award
The purpose of this recognition system serves to change the mindset of our student groups, from being number-driven, to becoming value-driven and to acknowledge exemplary student activities around the world. The goal is to improve the quality of activities, and to foster knowledge sharing among students. Ultimately, the initiative is targeted at improving student-membership growth. This will encourage and motivate students to continue to innovate and implement meaningful ideas.
- This award requires interested student groups to submit a description of an organized activity.
- There can be several winners each year, depending on the number of nominations and quality of submission. It allows the same submitted activity to be elevated to the next highest category based on future improvements made in subsequent years. Note: The activities that have been organized more than once will be given more consideration. The intent is to encourage consistency, spurring Student Branches to discover their niche, and continually improve on it.
- All IEEE Student Branches, Student Branch Chapters, and Student Branch Affinity Groups are eligible for this award program.
- Activities organized by multiple Student Branches and/or Student Branch Chapters are also eligible.
- Submitting more than one nomination for the same activity will result in disqualification.
- Any operational unit (OU) can submit a maximum of only two applications per year. i.e Student Branch or Student Chapter or Student Branch Affinity Group can submit max of two application each.
- Fill in the nomination form and complete each section in a concise manner, explaining how the activity qualifies for receiving the award.
- Attach an endorsement letter acknowledging and recommending activities in the nomination from the SB Counselor or SB Chapter Advisor.
- The nominator(s) shall submit the Nomination via the Student Awards Portal
- If you require additional information about the award or the awards process, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that IEEE maintains publishing rights to print excerpts from all material submitted.
Deadline is extended until 15th April 2020 (11.59 PM EST)
- Each entry will be categorized in the classifications: unranked, bronze, silver, gold, platinum (in the order of increasing value)
- The judging is carried out primarily on the below criteria:
- The Concept (0-15)
- Problem recognition/reason for activity (0-5)
- Relevance/value created (0-5)
- Creativity/uniqueness (0-5)
- Implementation (0-20)
- Implementation/organization (0-15)
- Collaboration (0-5)
- Repeatability (0-15)
- Sustainability (0-8)
- Portability (0-7)
- Results and outcomes (0-30)
- Participation (0-5)
- Positive impact (0-25)
- The Concept (0-15)
The student branch will be presented with a digital certificate. Platinum winners will receive a plaque.
View the past winners information for IEEE Darrel Chong Student Activity Award: Student Award Results